Monday, April 5, 2010

Happy Easter!

Thinking back to the days before I left for my one-year contract, I was riddled with anxiety. I worried about the loneliness I would experience, the homesickness. I thought about the depression I suffered the last time I moved away from home--Thanksgiving spent crying on my bathroom floor; Easter in front of the fan, cooling down from a panic attack. Holidays were always the hardest.


But not here.


I spent Christmas with my roommate and a bunch of strangers in the Shenyang (China) airport, waiting for a plane that "got lost in bad weather" to arrive. Thanksgiving was spent with some fellow Americans, eating Turkey with chopsticks. I celebrated New Years in a reggae bar in Beijing with some friends I met in a hostel. And Easter was just another day on the couch.


Actually, I had no idea Sunday was even a holiday until I opened my mom's e-card. But, I guess living in Asia will do that to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment